Monday, June 29, 2009

to you

To you.
Merci, madame.
To you,
For you walked shoeless with a cane.

I walked with feet shod
When I saw your figure's outline facing me
From far away.
I squinted to zoom in on you somehow.
I had a question answered as my eyes strained:
Yes, she's barefoot--
Shoes in one hand, cane in the other.

You inspired me to take off my shoes.

Why hadn't I already?
I confused even myself,
As usually my shoes are the first release
I reward myself.

Shoeless in the house.
Bare feet in the grass.
Naked toes in the sand.

That's how I go.
So, again, why hadn't I already?

I was tired.
Didn't want to bend over.
The packed sand held no temptation;
Clouds allowed no sun warming effects.

But you were there,
Quite a way from me,
But still there.
There holding your shoes.

To you, thanks for spurring me
To hang my hands down to free my feet.
To let them feel the ocean's water.

I continued towards you.
We shared smiles as we crossed paths.
Both our feet bare.

I should have uttered merci,
But I felt I would shatter the magic.
Our smiles were enough.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm obsessed with Regina, she totally calms me down. I also loved your poem it took me somewhere far away. Hope everything is going well with you.