Saturday, October 17, 2009

resevoir of tears

I know. I know. I have a lot of writing to catch up on. A lot of explaining to do. But I'm not about to do that yet. My apologies, but not really because this is my blog. I get to choose what I write.

I also get to choose what I read. Currently I'm reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. We're reading it for book group, but I'd had it on my list of books to read beforehand. I'm glad we're reading it, though. I'm almost halfway through and so far I've liked what I've read.

A passage I like:

"In bed that night I invented a special drain that would be underneath every pillow in New York, and would connect to the reservoir. Whenever people cried themselves to sleep, the tears would all go to the same place, and in the morning the weatherman could report if the water level of the Reservoir of Tears had gone up or down, and you could know if New York was in heavy boots. And when something really terrible happened--like a nuclear bomb, or at least a biological weapons attack--an extremely loud siren would go off, telling everyone to get to Central Park to put sandbags around the reservoir" (38).

1 comment:

h.jo said...

i loved this book. now that you've finished it, what do you think?