Wednesday, January 20, 2010

back to the bike

It's Wednesday. It's slightly snowing outside. I'm at school. I'm pretty much ready for the day. I just need to write stuff on the board and pick up a stack up copies from downstairs.

Yesterday I enjoyed a glorious bike ride. The last ride I took was in the middle of November. So when I stepped out of school yesterday afternoon into the crisp and clean and clear air, I knew I had to go if it was warm enough to brave the briskness. There's a freedom I gain on my bike that I can't experience elsewhere. It's a pause while hurtling. It's a lull while zooming. I savored the solo nature of it as I gazed at the mountains to my left, then in front of me, and then to my right, as I completed my ride.

Anyway, biking makes me happy. (Yep, stating the obvious...)

And now something else that makes me happy: words.

Here are some from Rilke:

"Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books written in a foreign language. Do not now look for the answers. They cannot now be given to you because you could not live them. It is a question of experiencing everything. At present you need to live the question. Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer, some distant day."

Happy halfway through the week!

3 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

I'm a friend of Andrew's from the mission. He was an awesome missionary and I am so happy that y'all are engaged and getting married...CESTITAM (that means congratulations in Slovene).

I LOVE that quote you shared! How profound, and thanks for sharing it on your blog for others to read adn enjoy.

 Natalie said...

i love you and your blog.

Julie said...

I love that quote - I put it on my blog a month or so ago - spoke to my heart!!

Two more weeks - wow, you're about there :-)