Monday, June 13, 2011

book talk

It always makes me happy when someone loves a book I've recommended. My parents both read Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner in the course of their trip to Ireland for two weeks. They both thought it was amazing. Makes me want to read it again. Makes me want to tell everyone about it. Stegner's writing is gorgeous and the story even more so.

I told Nat to read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. She loved it. Another good one to read, especially since I hear there's a movie coming out.

Anyone read True Grit? I'd like to read it, watch the original film, and then watch the film that recently came out. If someone tells me it's worth it, I think it'll be more likely I'll read it.

I finally read The Princess Bride. It was such a fun read. We watched that movie all the time when we were kids, but I'd never read the book. I love the lines that come straight from the book to the movie. The back stories (not presented much in the movie) are also pretty awesome.

I've also read another book of late: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I really liked it.

Next book? I started The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card with Andrew on our little road trip this weekend. I don't know if I'll finish it. We'll see. I also checked out a couple from the library, but don't know what I'll crack open next. I'm sure you'll hear about it here, though, since I like to blather on and on about books.

Happy week and happy reading!

1 comment:

sierra said...

you know what i love? when i buy a book you recommended for someone else and they end up loving it. then they find out i have yet to read it and then buy it for me. but then there's the problem of starting a good book and i have no self control thus my children have no mom for a day or two.