Sunday, March 30, 2008

holi: the festival of colors






"In India Holi announces the arrival of spring and the passing of winter. It is a festival that breathes an atmosphere of social merriment. People bury their hatchets with a warm embrace and throw their worries to the wind. Every nook and corner presents a typically colorful sight. Young and old alike are covered with colors (red, green, yellow, blue, black and silver). People in small groups are seen singing, dancing and throwing colors on each other."
(http://www.utahkrishnas.com/main/page.asp?id=1332)

I attended this fabulous event with a few of my friends yesterday. It was so excitingly joyful.

We saw beautiful dancing and heard glorious chanting. We got lost in a cloud of color as soon as the fire was lit. I couldn't breathe from all the dust and strong scent, but it truly was exhilarating.

I'm grateful to the wonderful people who are so welcoming to let us celebrate with them.

1 comment:

Tamber said...

Hi Analyn,
I found your blog. I think that Emma wished everyday that I would let her get paint on her like in your pictures. She would have loved it. Anyways, just wanted to say hi...
Tamber

ps. my blog is byumcallisters.blogspot.com