Monday, June 23, 2008

fractured camping

Thursday: I go for a pass during my ultimate frisbee game. While cutting for the pass, I collide with a certain Josh McAdams. This track star is pure muscle (he has to be since he's competing in the steeplechase in Olympic Trials). I fall. I fear. I grab my left shoulder; I think it has come out of its socket. It's still in its proper spot. After recognizing that fact, I'm able to register the pain. My left scapular area pulses with pain. I try to play a little more, but it hurts. I ride my bike home. I pop some pills (ibuprofen) and ice the affected area. I ask my dad for a blessing. I curl up for an ok night of sleep.

Friday: I wake up. My injury doesn't feel too bad. It only hurts when I breathe deeply and move my left arm in an unsuitable way. I can't imagine cancelling the camping and hiking plans we (Margie, Andrew, Kenny, and Kari) have scheduled. So Margie comes and we take off. We drive up Payson canyon. It's still bothering me, but we have loads of fun setting up camp at Blackhawk campground, hiking around, taking pictures, and simply talking. Andrew, Kenny, and Kari arrive later that night. We enjoy campfire fun. I try to settle into a comfortable sleeping position once nestled in my sleeping bag, but even with four more tablets of motrin, I'm unable. It's hurting more and more.

Saturday: I wake up in pain. See posted picture for proof; thanks to And for taking such a flattering picture of me. I decide it wouldn't be smart to attempt the planned hike for the day, so Margie's quite kind and accompanies me back home while the others go on with the day's plan. I spend 4 hrs in the ER to learn that I've a fractured rib.



Monday: I'm feeling ok. I'm not looking for sympathy in writing this--just updating. I'm not sure I'll be competing in any July triathlons and I'm not teaching any swim lessons this week. It's a tad bit frustrating, but it seems to be a norm for me: summertime injury. I don't want to ever stop being competitive, though. Ultimate is great fun and I feel I've improved a lot these past few weeks. I can finally confidently throw the disc forehand.

Friday was downright lovely. I adore romping around in open green spaces. I'm grateful for such fabulous friends/relatives/siblings. Laters.


3 comments:

So many blogs..too little time said...

Girl, I am so sorry. You have the worst luck. Hope you are feeling better

Tash said...

When I was reading, I had flashbacks of you getting hurt playing water polo. I hope you have a full recovery soon.

Rachel May said...

alright that really is the funniest picture ever.