Monday, June 16, 2008

tri to bi and numbness

My triathlon of a week ago turned into a biathlon. It was raining terribly that Saturday morning and so the bike portion of the race was cancelled. They almost nixed the swim too because the water was a frigid 48 in the top foot of water. They ended up shortening the swim. I ended up finishing the 500-600 swim (I'm not sure how much it actually was) and the 5K run in just under 34 minutes (33:51). The swim was so cold I had trouble feeling my hands--not a very comforting feeling. It was fun, but I'm a little bummed I didn't get to experience the full tri. I'm going to look at signing up for another one in July before tackling the half-Ironman I'm doing 9 August. Yikes.

It all seemed rather trivial to compete the day after Oumar's passing. I've been thinking about this and about a comment my dad made which I didn't overhear but afterheard from my mom. He shook his head in disgust at the sight of the triathlon site and said, look at the money; all this money could be used for so much good.

I've been struggling with this because I feel motivated to train towards something and my body can't handle swimming every single day or running every single day. Maybe it could, but it's just not as fun for me anymore to train laboriously in one sport. Yet I know the money I've spent on triathlons this summer could be used to help out so many people and make differences in people's lives. So what do I do? This is just me thinking out loud. I think it comes down to what is important to ME. I feel I usually have my priorities in pretty good order. So why do I feel almost guilty at signing up for some athletic competition?

Searching for some answers and more. I know of only a few people who read this, but if you have any insights, comments, or anything, I'd love to know them? Loves, lyn.

3 comments:

Zach said...

I'm a little slow, but I just found your blog! Yay!

Natalya said...

I think Dad is just a grumpster. And you have to do some things for yourself.

Jenn said...

I've got some strong opinions on this subject, but I know what you're going though because I've struggled in the past (and sometimes still do) with "living the life I love." First, why are you on earth? Do you know? It's not to be miserable, I'm pretty sure of that.

I truly, really believe that God put us on the earth to be happy. I believe serving others makes me happy. I also believe training and racing bring me happiness too. I know because everytime I do a little race I get giddy and excited and I just enjoy it. Sometimes I question it and wonder if I'm crazy, but I realize...I just really love this!

Watching Chariots of Fire again helped me so I'd recommend you rent it and watch it. It reminded me that I glorify God when I use and develop my talents. I also believe that I can inspire others to do the same. This is a service. If people are grumbly about that, they may have forgotten and gotten far away from why they are on earth. Have compassion for them.

That's why our Family Motto is "Let your light so shine." We have decided to live the life we love and we hope to serve and love others in an ispiring way. Hope that helps.