Wednesday, December 31, 2008

excerpts (2008)

from my journal

1 January: "Got Dad to put cat food in his mouth. Sooo funny, but he was rather peeved."

1 February: "Arlette will be married when I wake. Crazy, eh? Congrats to the new bride."

10 February: "I chopped my hair. Took off about a foot and now it's about chin-length. A big change. Not a huge fan as of right now but I suppose I'll grow accustomed."

9 March: "________ dropped the F-bomb in class. Took her out in the hall. She's going through a lot. Don't want to make things worse."

11 March: "Yesterday I had quite the experience at the gym. I'll cut and paste it into here. I can't tolerate intolerance. (Hypocritical, no?) Sometimes I just wanna punch people in the face."

16 March: "I am thankful for walks
for Sunday/family dinners
for beads
for blue sky
for clean clothes that I didn't have to wash by hand
for speed scrabble
for music
for friends
for fam
for exercise

Bonne nuit!"

27 April: "Sierra's pregnant! And I'm not supposed to tell anyone yet, so I'm writing in here because it feels like I'm telling someone in some way."

4 May: "Ready for haphazardness?
quotes from spring break:
Joli, on driving away from Todd and Susy's on the hilly, winding roads: 'Let's enjoy the theme park ride, Josh.'

Josh to Joli: 'At least I have 20 dollars to comfort me.'
Joli's reply: 'It's ok, Josh.'"

27 May: "Rock climbing rocked! Man, I'm addicted. Just like last year when I went bouldering and wanted to buy climbing shoes. Well, yesterday was my first time really rock climbing [outside and not at the gym]...and yep, I've been bitten by some bug that makes me want to really get into it."

1 June: "Went to bed at 12:20 and awoke at 6:30...couldn't fall back to sleep even though I tried. So I'm up on the west side of the basin in RC Park. The water's coming down here from the canyon so there's a nice little roar going on. The sun has hit the lake but hasn't yet peeked at me. It's lovely being up here. Rode my bike up. Just wanted to get away for a few moments to write. And study holy writings."

16 juin: "Big 9-stake FHE was tonight and I'm too crazy and have to get all sweaty. Can't be a normal girl, sit, be pretty, bat eyelashes, talk to boys, be talked to by boys. Nope, I must off and play soccer and frisbee."

22 June: "Cracked rib...went camping...highlights of my day w/Mags:

  • buying a little gas stove and a head lamp
  • driving and chatting
  • talking
  • Mags putting this big old log full of ants on the fire
  • seeing the stars
  • watching the moonrise
  • enjoying all the beautiful scenery
  • sitting by the fire"

6 July: "Friday was the big holiday, if you want to call it that. I went on a nice long ride w/Dad out to 'west fields,' as he terms them; it's west of Spanish Fork. It was fun despite my right foot having an irksome tendency of falling asleep."

31 July: "Went on my longest run ever: 10.5 miles. It took me about 1:40. I actually felt pretty good, but I didn't do any swim or bike beforehand so that's probably why."

6 August: "Slept in like a baby this morn. Went on a 1:30 bike ride w/Dad. Played at 'our' beach: swam, gin, speed scrabble, sand. Came back to camp. Picked huckleberries. Made and ate dinner. Went to the south beach and had ice cream cones. Played with my camera along the shore.

10 August: "Well, it's done. I did it! It wasn't nearly as terrible as I thought it would be. I thought it would hurt a lot more, but I guess I'm in better shape than I reckoned. It was sooo fun! I had the usual nervous, jumpy stomach feelings Fri night and Sat morn before it began..."

13 August: "Thursday I biked out to school. I worked on getting the classroom ready and other various things. We had a lil dept mtg and a mentor/mentee mtg. I'm really excited for the starting of the school year."

13 September: "'Kiterunner' was ok. Don't think I can compare it w/ the book which seemed much more deep emotionally. I really really liked 'Diving Bell and Butterfly.' I want to read the book now. It was amazing. Editing compromised a bit of my understanding, so I'm going to have to ask Liz if she saw it edited or not and see if she can fill in the hole for me."

22 September: "Just had the best FHE EVER! We ripped nails from boards. It was pure delight and muscle. Loverly."

12 October: "The Sacramento Temple is gorgeous! The grounds are lovely. It's just grand. The ceremony was beautiful and Kenny and Kari were so happy. Everything was just dandily good. Kari's grandpa sealed them so that's pretty special...He mentioned something President Hinckley said while he was sealing hes granddaughter to her fiance...that out of everything he'd done in his life, performing the sealings of grandchildren and and great grandchildren was the finest thing he'd ever done. So right."

2 November: John Muir 1894: "Few places in the world are more dangerous than home. Fear not, therefore, to try the mountain-passes. They will eliminate care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free, and call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action."

4 November: "Election Day! Nervous and excited!"

23 November: "I am thankful this day for:

sunshine
frisbee
family
sleep
scriptures
prayer
church
walks
a healthy body
friends
Elijah Paul Abel
Sierra and Joe
my students
my Savers pants (vain)
mountains
a nice bed
Thanksgiving break"

1 December: "The high was 55 today. I just got back from a delicious run--6 miles in shorts and tee :). Can you believe that? Madness pure madness."

8 December: "End w/ a baby rushwrite. Yet there will always be a cloud in the sky. Whether it's over your head or over the head of someone a country away, you'll clutch your umbrella tighter than before."

24 December: "So fun. I love my friends. I love the snow. I love the break. It's so nice to not have stringent plans."

29 December: "Smile. Have patience. Be thankful. Rejoice. Spread cheer."

No comments: