Monday, May 18, 2009

long may i run

But only half as long as a marathon (at least for now).

Saturday I completed my first official running race since running in one cross country meet in high school. I didn't quite know what to expect, so I just ran with all I had. And it didn't turn out too badly.

Highlights of the day included:
  • live band playing at the start, jamming out Neil Young's "Long May You Run" (pretty much one of my favorite songs)
  • the gorgeous route: waterfalls included
  • keeping track in my head and on my fingers each mile's split
  • feeling extra strong all through the canyon
  • pushing through to the end
  • Margie cheering for me (she's just the greatest!)
  • getting a far better time than I anticipated
  • cheering, close to two hours, for people I don't even know
  • running the finish again, this time with Lisa
  • drinking heaps of water
I found some pictures online from Saturday's running craze. Margie's internet wasn't working and she was going to email me all the candid shots she took of me. This will have to do for now. I'm not talking on the phone. I actually remember thinking, ugh, why is there a guy with a camera right there? He caught me mid-sentence. He made me feel queasy with embarrassment. My reaction? Oh, let's just rub some salt (sweat-origination) from my face. Yum.

Last highlight: getting a little plaque. I debated mentioning this because I don't want to boast or be seen as pompous etc. etc. etc. But I just feel like I really earned this one. I didn't simply breeze through it. I don't know quite how to explain it. Hmmm, I've long ago thrown away most of my swim plaques and medals; this one means more to me right now. Plus I like the saying on it:
Get Out and Live.

4 comments:

Darin and Shannon said...

good job! My hero!

Anonymous said...

YAY! Way to go Analyn!

Deanna said...

Good for you! That must've been a big dumptster. :)

You are an amazing inspiration! I've started riding my bike to work, as well as jogging a bit with my kids in the stroller. Someday, I'd like to be able to run like my hubby...but I'll just take it one day at a time. :)

Julie said...

Way to go! I ran my first 1/2 marathon up in Eugene, OR with my sister - SO much fun - i loved it!

Let's do one together one day :-)