Friday, May 1, 2009

"a moment of beauty"

"As the kids dance around the front yard under the night sky and the lights, I see something.

Lua and Marie are holding hands.

They look like they're so happy, just inside this moment, watching the kids and the lights on their old fibro house.

Lua kisses her.

Just softly on the lips.

And she kisses back.

Sometimes people are beautiful.

Not in looks.

Not in what they say.

Just in what they are."

--Markus Zusak I Am the Messenger p. 224

I read this book yesterday. I started it while my students were testing yesterday; I did so as a break from grading and planning and sitting in silence while they all read, filled in bubbles, and were probably hating life. I finished it cozy in bed and way past my bedtime. I haven't done that for a long time. I will sometimes read for 10 or 15 mintues before drifting off to dreamland, but most nights I simply crash without taking in any more words for the day. Not so last night. I really liked this book. I'm not so sure I'm into the ending. I'm going to read the last few pages again today and see what I think. But overall, I certainly fell deeply into the book. The language is a wee-bit strong, so for those of you more righteous (pretty much all of you) than me, I don't know if I'd reccommend it because I wouldn't want to get in trouble. That's the thing, though, for me...the language is a part of the book, so...hmmm. Don't know what to tell you.

What do I know, then? All I know in this moment is this:

I love staying up past my bedtime to read a delicious book.

I love grapefruit.

I love that it's Friday.

I love my bike.

I love my family and friends.

I love that in a month I'll be bashing around Europe with my family.

I love people and the beauty within them.

I love listening to Band of Horses.

I love going to gallery stroll with lovelies (tonight! can't wait).

I love hope.

So that was more a list of love rather than know, but there you have it. Laters and loves.

2 comments:

Natalya said...

So, I didn't know that you listened to Band of Horses. I feel like a bad sister. But No One's Gonna Love You is one of my favorite songs.

Natalya said...

I take back that comment. I just realize they sing The Great Salt Lake and you totally had that on many times. I can never keep my bands straight. :)