Wednesday, July 8, 2009

day three

Left Challis to go back to Stanley. A rather uneventful day for most of us (I didn't even take pictures). I say most of us because Josh had another couple spokes snap off his back wheel. He didn't want to risk completely ruining the wheel, especially with more than 100 miles to go, so he had his first experience hitchhiking. An older lady picked him up in her big white van. Turns out she lives in her van, smokes unfiltered cigarettes, and has a dog. So Josh had a nice time. He actually had his spokes replaced in Stanley and rode back to meet us as we were taking our last break of the day.

It was cool to ride back on the same road. We were still next to the river. I just adore water and there's something about the pace of biking that lets me absorb my surroundings a lot more than driving does. Running's nice too, of course. But biking's just more smooth and fluid somehow.

So another 58 miles down. And we finally discovered THE place to eat in Stanley: the Bakery. Oh yum. I had risotto cakes, green beans, yams, and mushrooms. And the best pie I've had (outside of home): peach raspberry. So good.

No comments: