Tuesday, January 20, 2009

inauguration

Wow, two posts in one day. What's going on?

I couldn't let this special day pass by without writing something. Sadly, I didn't get to watch the inauguration with any of my students since it fell smack in the middle of my prep hour. But happily, I did turn on my TV and watch as I tried to prepare some lessons for tomorrow and later in the week.

I also took some notes as I watched. I couldn't resist copying down things said and the feelings I had as a result.

Some of my notes follow:

Watching KUED. The mall is packed. So many people there to witness. Witness. Witness the inauguration. At this moment, they’re going to introduce President Obama.


I’m so utterly excited….!!!!


I don’t have class right now. I’ve been working on stuff for tomorrow, but it’s hard to concentrate. The anticipation mounts.


Ladies and Gentlemen: The President Elect of the United States, Barack H. Obama. (interesting that he didn’t announce his full middle name because he did so for George Walker Bush…)


So what happens now?


The crowd chants “Obama”


They’re excited.


Dianne Feinstein: “The world is watching today…peaceful transition of power. We gather to etch another line in the solid stone of history….we come here every 4 yrs…nonviolence. Ballot vs. bullet…our work is not yet finished, but future generations will mark this moment…they will look back and remember that the dream which once echoed…finally reached the walls of the white house. We pledge ourselves to the hope the vision the unity…inspired by the 44th president B. Obama.”


Rick Warren: Invocation

“Let us pray: Almighty God, Our Father. Everything we see and everything we can’t see it comes from you alone…history is your story. Hear oh Israel, the Lord is our God. The Lord is One. You are loving to everyone. Today we rejoice. We celebrate a hingepoint in history…[cheering]. We are so grateful to live in this land. We know today that Dr. King and great cloud of witnesses are shouting in heaven. Give him the wisdom to lead us in humility. …passion to lead us with generosity. Help us to remember that we are Americans…united by our commitment to freedom and justice for all. Help us to serve, to share. May we never forget all nations and all people will stand accountable before you. We now commit our new president, his wife, daughters, into your care. ….”


Wow, I’m crying…was crying even before the invocation…why am I crying? This is just amazing.


Aretha Franklin “My Country ‘Tis of Thee”


Let freedom ring.

Biden


Amazing piece of music. Peaceful.


And Obama takes oath of office.


Speech. Too much to write. Just feel.


Everywhere we look there is work to be done.


All this we can do. All this we will do.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Those are some deep notes.