Tuesday, September 7, 2010

the most wonderful time of the year

I love the melding of summer to fall. Yesterday's air bit crisp, but the sun still shared its warming rays; it's that perfect mix which leaves me almost without breath. It's that sweet sun and chill air ratio which makes me want to hop on my bike, go for a run, or climb some great routes. For now, I will continue to take pleasure in the walks my six-month-pregnant belly allows me. I'll try not to be jealous when I hear about the great ride my brother and dad went on because my skin will still marvel at the sensation of being cooled and warmed simultaneously.

It's not solely the perfect weather that makes this such a dreamy time of year for me--the start of school factors in. Since school started without me this year, I really find myself missing it. I've had several teaching dreams the past few weeks and I'm sure they'll continue. I miss all the students I've ever taught. I miss the splendid lunchtimes spent with fellow teachers. I miss reading, discovering, laughing, and working with my students. Sure, I might be glossing over and remembering only the good parts. But the hard things about teaching I barely remember; the sweet sticks with me.

And thus seasons roll on.

Coaching swimming comes as my newest season. I've coached before but I feel my teaching experiences of the last few years have really helped me become a better coach. I'm excited to work with kids, albeit in a setting other than the classroom. I've seen the great influence my mom has had on so many because of all she's taught them through coaching. I hope I can do a fraction of the same.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I've been thinking about you...PGHS isn't the same without you. Is there a day sometime soon when you'd like to come have lunch with us? I know everyone would love to hear more about your adventures. :)