Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"there is nothing more astonishing than a human face"

From Gilead by Marilynne Robinson:

"They say an infant can't see when it is as young as your sister was, but she opened her eyes, and she looked at me. She was such a little bit of a thing. But while I was holding her, she opened her eyes. I know she didn't really study my face. Memory can make a thing seem to have been much more than it was. But I know she did look right into my eyes. That is something. And I'm glad I knew it at the time, because now, in my present situation, not that I am about to leave this world, I realize there is nothing more astonishing than a human face...You feel your obligation to a child when you have seen it and held it. Any human face is a claim on you, because you can't help but understand the singularity of it, the courage and loneliness of it. But this is truest of the face of an infant. I consider that to be one kind of vision, as mystical as any."

1 comment:

Rachel Leslie said...

I read a study that if the father's (unwed/divorced from the birth mother) were present at the time of a their child's birth they were much more likely to pay child support and be involved.