Friday, March 27, 2009

five cent magazines

are just one of the reasons i love the library. i picked up seven new (to me) national geographics yesterday for five cents each. i will read them and then cut them up to make new envelopes and perhaps wallets. i love the vivid photographs. i love stripping them from the magazine and turning them into something different--into something i can give to someone.


i also love the library because i can check out books (yes, thank you, captain obvious, but it's true).

for book group this month we're reading some rumi, seamus heaney, and federico garcia lorca. i wasn't able to find any rumi, but discovered a whole slew of heaney. i read his first collection death of a naturalist last night. i also checked out the following by him: electric light, seeing things, selected poems, and the spirit level. two more books stack the pile to a nice, uneven seven: selected verse by lorca and lamentations of the father by ian frazier.

i don't know why i stick my nose into so many books at once. i'm still not finished with dreams from my father. i'm also now thumbing through the omnivore's dilemma, fast food nation, and animal, vegetable, and miracle for some readings to include in our junior english inquiry unit. i've been sucked in by all of them. kingsolver (animal, veg, miracle) is an incredible writer and makes me want to read the bean trees and the poisonwood bible again.

anyway, i'm blathering. it's friday. i'm out of here (school). we'll see if i can push myself to do 4,000 yards in the pool. i've been letting my leg heal up from my nasty powderpuff football injury, so i slacked off both wednesday and thursday. sometimes it feels nice to be lazy. and sometimes it doesn't feel nice. i'm just hoping i can make my goal next week of riding in twice; hopefully it'll warm up so i can get my baby-pants self on my bike.

happy weekend!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Analyn, sometimes I could swear from reading your posts that we were twins in another life. Or something like that. Don't you just love Kingsolver? Animal, Vegetable, Miracle makes me want to go off on my own homesteading adventure.

And I have a stack of National Geographics just at my feet waiting for some collage-y inspiration to strike.

Fabulous. :)