Friday, August 14, 2009

happiest

This morning I stopped by the neighborhood grocery store to grab meself a pint of chocolate milk after my swim. I happened to run into my high school AP English teacher.

I haven't seen her for a couple years and it was nice to chat with her. I asked her what the happiest thing of her summer had been. She replied, without any hesitation, "Two grandchildren." She further affirmed my inquiry as to if they were born this summer.

We parted ways, but my mind rested on her response. I've been asking myself the same question these past few days and my answer is not the grand travels I've been able to enjoy. I certainly had fun, don't get me wrong. But playing with and holding my cousin Elijah has been the happiest thing of my summer. Along with that happiness is the time spent with my immediate and extended family. It doesn't matter if we're playing soccer in west Provo or eating dinner just off the beach of Payette lake. Just being with them matters more than enough.

No comments: